Empower employees with well-designed intranet content and architecture
A well-designed intranet can increase productivity, facilitate collaboration, and empower your employees. A poorly designed intranet will do the opposite. But if you’re starting from scratch, it can be difficult to envision what an intranet could and should look like in your own organization. Balancing the needs of employees at all levels can be complex and time-consuming work.
A solid foundation in content strategy ensures that your intranet project is successful in providing digital resources that are relevant to your employees. We learn about your organization and build out detailed recommendations to meet your unique intranet needs.
Why an intranet?
Provide quick and easy access to the information and tools employees need.
Create self-serve resources and support channels.
Break down internal silos and promote communication across departments and teams.
Help employees feel confident that the information they find is accurate and up-to-date.
Why content strategy is important for intranet projects
Well-designed, easy-to-use internal content saves your organization time and money, and improves the experience for employees. Prioritizing content and user needs as you design your intranet helps ensure you’re providing the content your employees need where and when they need it. It can cover everything from human resource information to corporate policies and procedures, professional development and training, news, and updates.
We can help:
- Perform discovery work to understand what your employees need and expect from an intranet.
- Organize and design the structure of your intranet content to ensure your employees have access to the right information.
- Work closely with internal teams to create alignment on a sustainable solution.
- Develop metadata and taxonomy models to facilitate information search across your intranet.
- Write and edit content for internal audiences.
Intranet content should be easy to find, easy to understand, and easy to act on. We’ll help you develop an intranet solution that provides easy access to the information that’s most important.
Remote work and a growing number of online tools, processes, and resources meant that the University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) needed a new online space to support workplace productivity and culture. We were hired to conduct discovery and design activities to define an overarching strategy, approach, guiding principles, and roadmap for the implementation of a new UFV intranet.
- Developed an intranet strategy and plan for UFV’s first intranet.
- Facilitated effort across multiple departments, considering dozens of systems and tens of thousands of web pages.
- Developed a taxonomy and metadata framework for internal content.
- Created an information architecture by developing a sitemap and creating content models.
- Aligned departments on roles and responsibilities by facilitating cross-functional workshops.
- Articulated the needs of internal audiences by conducting interviews and a survey.
“Content Strategy Inc. showed us what we were doing well, and helped us identify and clearly express where the weaknesses and challenges were in our current web content practices. We knew where we wanted to be, but they helped us figure out how to get there. We went from having no idea what to do, to having a clear path to follow. ”Laura Authier | Director of Marketing
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is a higher education institution with campuses and locations in Abbotsford, British Columbia, and a growing presence in Chandigarh, India.